Sunday, August 11, 2013

Getting to Know Me


Hello! My name is Lisa and I'm 40 with two beautiful girls. K will be 4 and A will be 10 this month.I will talk more about how wonderful and how special they are later and post some pictures.

I have several 'invisible' illnesses that I live with every day and still take care of my children and do the usual stuff a wife and mom is supposed to do. Invisible illnesses are illnesses a person has, but they don't make the person look sick on the outside, like a physical deformity, wheelchair, cane, etc. I don't have any of those.

My first invisible illness I was diagnosed with back when I was a teenager is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. This makes me feel tired and achy ALL of the time. I feel like I'm dragging my body around wherever I go and in whatever I do. Here is the actual definition- By Mayo Clinic staff

Chronic fatigue syndrome is a complicated disorder characterized by extreme fatigue that can't be explained by any underlying medical condition. The fatigue may worsen with physical or mental activity, but doesn't improve with rest.

The cause of chronic fatigue syndrome is unknown, although there are many theories — ranging from viral infections to psychological stress. Some experts believe chronic fatigue syndrome might be triggered by a combination of factors.

There's no single test to confirm a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome. You may have to undergo a variety of medical tests to rule out other health problems that have similar symptoms. Treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome focuses on symptom relief.  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chronic-fatigue-syndrome/DS0039

My next invisible illness is fibromyalgia and I was diagnosed with that at the same time I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome. This makes me feel basically the same. I wake up tired and achy every day. I don't remember a day without pain or achiness.  Here is the definition- Fibromyalgia is a disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues. Researchers believe that fibromyalgia amplifies painful sensations by affecting the way your brain processes pain signals.

Fibromyalgia is a disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues. Researchers believe that fibromyalgia amplifies painful sensations by affecting the way your brain processes pain signals. Women are much more likely to develop fibromyalgia than are men. Many people who have fibromyalgia also have tension headaches, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders, irritable bowel syndrome, anxiety and depression. 

Fibromyalgia is characterized by additional pain when firm pressure is applied to specific areas of your body, called tender points. Tender point locations include:
Back of the head
Between shoulder blades
Top of shoulders
Front sides of neck
Upper chest
Outer elbows
Upper hips
Sides of hips
Inner knees
Fatigue and sleep disturbances

People  with fibromyalgia often awaken tired, even though they report sleeping for long periods of time. Sleep is frequently disrupted by pain, and many patients with fibromyalgia have other sleep disorders, such as restless legs syndrome and sleep apnea, that further worsen symptoms.

I also get chronic headaches and migraines. I was just recently in the ER for a bad migraine. I was just approved for Botox treatment and did get my first one. But, I need to wait for a couple treatments to see if they are working for me. Obviously, the first one didn't work. But, I didn't have high hopes. 

When I was 30 and pregnant with A, I was in the worst pain imaginable and I had swollen joints. I saw a rheumatologist and had a simple blood test. I was then diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. It isn't active now and my joints are not swollen, but I take a maintenance medication to keep it that way. 

My most recent diagnosis is colonic inertia. For almost a year, my GI diagnosed me with gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach). I had all of the symptoms. I would know since my youngest daughter had it severely. But, I just kept getting worse and the medications stopped working. Then I decided to meet with a colon surgeon. 

This is how I found out:

Here is my health update- I met with my colon surgeon today to see if he had answers, and he sure did! As soon as he walked in! He told me shockingly, right off the bat, that based on all of my tests from my GI, that I was a candidate to have my colon removed and to have an ostomy. But since I'm still young he won't do that right away.

My colon doesn't work at all! That's why I feel so sick all the time! But all this time I've even experiencing a domino effect. I've been on one pain medication for my fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. My pain management doctor put me on it, it's worked well over the years, and he has told me I'm on a low dose so it shouldn't be affecting me like this. Now my GI and colon surgeon have told me I need to get him to wean me off of it or I will wind up needing my colon removed and the damaged will not be baled to be reversed. But it's made me more and more constipated, and then I take a nausea pill which makes that worse because the laxatives aren't working anymore and the amitiza also doesn't work anymore. 

I also have to drink more, take a fiber supplement, and exercise! So, I'm on a mission to do all of that. I need to feel better and keep my colon! 

Imagine being 40 and being told you have to get your colon removed? I'm still in shock. I'm so glad I made this appointment. 

So far the fiber supplement seems to be helping somewhat. The drinking is a no-go since I'm still so nauseous around the clock and I'm supposed to ease off of the anti nausea medication zofran.  Zofran, as per my GI may make me more constipated. So, getting all that water down somehow will have to be figured out further. 

Colonic Inertia is a subgroup of people have constipation because of disordered nerves and muscles of the colon itself. In these individuals, movement of fecal material within the colon is markedly delayed. Patients with delayed colonic action (medically termed colonic inertia) have difficulty with moving stool through the colon, which is about 3 feet in length. In patients with colonic inertia, stool may remain stored in the right or middle portion of the colon and not progress adequately to the rectosigmoid colon. It is the rectosigmoid colon that is responsible for the propulsion and transfer of stool out of the body – the processes involved in defecation.

There are a variety of conditions that may cause slowing of colonic action. Medications such as some antihypertensives, pain relievers containing opioid, antidepressants, antipsychotics, and anticholinergics may all slow colonic action. Hypothyroidism, diabetes, and some rheumatologic conditions may also decrease the function of the intrinsic nerves and muscles of the colon and produce severe constipation. Finally, there are some individuals that
develop colonic inertia without an identifiable cause. This condition is termed idiopathic. It is seen most commonly in young women.

My CI may have been caused by the low dose pain medication I've taken for the fibromyalgia. Nobody knows for sure. 

So, that's ME! In a nutshell. 

I really hope you want to get to know more about me and my Invisible diseases and how they affect my life, my family, friends. Next, I will introduce you to my family. 

In all of my pain and illness I do try to find at least two positive things to every day as my friend has taught me no matter how small they may seem. And I pray to God for cures and for relief and that I get through another day for my children. 

Please feel free to ask me any questions about any posts.

Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment